Panic Attacks

This blog details one person's experience with panic disorder i.e. panic attacks/continual anxiety. To read how she recovered please go to: http://recoverfrompanic.blogspot.com/

Saturday, March 04, 2006

More chest pains

I've been on the cross trainer for 5 minutes. I'm meant to stay on it for 10 to reach my target, but I've just felt a sharp pain in my chest. I'm going slower now because I'm a bit worried. I've never had pains in my chest while exercising before. I have low blood pressure, been working out for 4 weeks now, eat healthily, get enough sleep, so what's wrong with me? There, I've felt it again. What is that?

I get off the cross trainer, cool down, do my stretches and go to the changing room. My workout is over. I feel that I should investigate my chest pains before doing any more vigorous exercise. I'm concerned. I think about mentioning it to my personal trainer next time I see her. I collect my two year old from creche and go home for lunch. I'm due to meet my close friend this afternoon (she has decided to speak to me again although hasn't let me forget what I did and so I've been treading on eggshells for the last 4 weeks trying to make it up to her).

Over tea that afternoon, I mention to my friend that I had chest pains in the gym. "It sounds like pleurisy." she says. "Pleurisy? What's that?" Just the sound of the word scared me. I didn't think there was anything seriously wrong with me. Until now. My friend is an acute asthmatic, she knows all about the various respitory illnesses from first-hand experience. She gets me to blow into her peak flow monitor. "Woah, you're only up to 300. I'm asthmatic and I just blew 550." I start to worry. Chest pains, short of breath. Maybe I'm coming down with another chest infection. I got one last year that was so bad I couldn't even stand. I had to cancel 2 gigs, let down a lot of people, couldn't take my boy to school, my boyfriend had to take time off from work to nurse me back to health (I'll never forget the giant knot in my hair from being bedridden that took him half a bottle of conditioner and an hour to work out) and even my friend had to help out. If that was what was happening again I was in trouble. I was conducting a carol concert in 3 weeks, had the school musical to help out with every day, had my come back gig next week. A lot of people are relying on me to sing. I can't get ill now! What's pleurisy? I need to see my doctor straight away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home